Normal People Things:
- Gone to a party unrelated to my family.
Never thought I'd do:
- Worn a t-shirt with text on it.
- Written an essay structured using a gratuitous extended metaphor.
Extra nerd points:
- Programmed a number type which carries units and error values, to reduce the tedium of lab reports.
- Learned to write all my assignments in LATEX.
Java programming class (yes, I know Java already) today, introducing loops. Task: write a factorial program. I wrote mine to use
int arithmetic if possible, floating-point if not. Test the edge cases, of course. It says:
500! ≈ Infinity
I'm glad I used the “approximately equals” sign.
I get the feeling the textbook writers had a list of everyday objects which they randomly picked from to avoid saying “an object” in each exercise. The results are mostly just distracting or mildly amusing, but sometimes they're a bit too much:
— Halliday, Resnick, Walker, Fundamentals of Physics, 8th ed., page 215